Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Another Directory Duty: Movie Screening...Yogi Bear

One thing you learn quickly as a DCD (Day Camp Director) is that the job description is never fully accurate. There will always be new thing you'll need to do. This week I learned that that job description also includes movie screening. But don't fret, this is one of the nice parts of the job.

So last night, a buddy and I grabbed dinner and chunky monkey's (most awesome drink ever, from Second cup) and sat down to preview the first movie of the summer. At our day camp we have show a movie every Friday. This Friday we wanted to see Yogi Bear.
But before we can show the movie to the kids someone has to watch it and go through it to make sure its age appropriate and well just appropriate. And just because it's rated G doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be a good one. Sometimes it can inappropriate content, other times its inappropriate for your target age group, and other times it has scary parts for the younger kids. So those are the things to watch for - try to think like a kid. Enjoy the movie but remain critical.

Well I thought, since I was watching movies for my camp I thought I could help you out with the movies I've found that work for day camp. So this weeks post is Yogi Bear. Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't preview the movie for your camp still...I'm just trying to give you some ideas of what might work or might not work.

So onto Yogi.
This was a great movie! I will definitely be showing it to the kids at my camp. It was super funny and really cute. It's actually the type of movie that the kids will love and your staff will enjoy too. It was age appropriate and would work for all ages. It might have a little bit of confusing content for kids under 6, but they will still enjoy it and can watch it.

The great thing about this one, is that it didn't have a lot of innuendoes or adult jokes like some kids movies have. Perfect for any camp, especially a Christian or religious one.

I give this movie 5 picnic baskets out of 5 for appropriateness for Day Camp.

Yes, Yogi...I mentioned picnic baskets.

Anywho, curl up on the couch with some popcorn and enjoy this one....

Says, The Ditzy Day Camp Director



No comments:

Post a Comment